Friday, January 30, 2009

Acclimatized

When twenty four degrees feels warm, I know I have acclimatized to winter, at least as acclimatized as I am going to get. I am still cold. I wear a lap blanket in my office at work. Yeah, I'm an old lady who wears a lap blanket just like the folks I used to serve when I worked in nursing homes when I was a teenager. So far I have resisted wearing my lap blanket in the lunchroom or at meetings at work. I got a new "down substitute" lap blanket for my birthday that I wear at home all the time. I have it on my lap right now. I move my home lap blanket from room to room and chair to chair. Next week, starting on Friday, I will be reversing the process. I'll be spending eight days in sunny San Diego where the sun will warm my bones and rehydrate my skin. I will THROW DOWN the lap blanket and take up the sunscreen, set aside the sorrels and strap on some chaco sandals, exchange the turtleneck for a camp shirt.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...