Tuesday, January 13, 2009

She's Come Undone

I was supposed to go to my book club tonight. I really like going and this was a great book to discuss, but I chose not to go. My morning commute was not a good experience and influenced me to stay home. Today was a white knuckled and cold experience. My 4 cylinder car does not really produce much heat unless you get up past 45 mph and I never did get that fast today. Highway 47 was an ice rink of a road this morning and the traffic was so slow I shifted between first and second gear all the way to Highway 10. Highway 10 was faster but slippery as well. Added attractions on my Highway 10 commute were the unusual display of headlights. One set of headlights in Anoka were stacked. When my eyes first came upon the stacked headlights, it took me some time to process. As I got closer I could see the sedan was lying on it's side. That explains the stacked headlights. Another set in Coon Rapids were angled up at a strange tilt. That was from a truck upside down with most of the weight on the roof of the cab and the tailgate. The last set of strange headlights were illuminating into the snow bank. This last car had all four tires on the ground but the hood was buried in the snow in a ditch. I complain about my commute but really, I stayed on the road so I was way ahead of some other people. Much as I like my book club, I wanted to stay home where it is warm and safe. I would have liked to hear what others had to say about this book because I liked the story of Delores Price. She has a tough life, this Delores, and she makes some decisions that are short sighted, but she has a good heart and a good sense of humor. Her friends offer the support and love her family was unable to provide. The author, Wally Lamb, seems to know women and how they think. I thought the book was excellent.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...