Monday, January 12, 2009

Project Feeder Watch Update


Saturday: none, actually there were some birds because a good quantity of food was gone but I was also gone so I don't know who came.

Sunday: Black-capped chickadee-6, Junco - 3, Cedar Waxwing - 1, White breasted nuthatch - 2, Purple finch - 5
I am so excited to have identified a new bird, the purple finch, for the first time in my yard, or anywhere for that matter. I saw 3 of these sharply striped sparrow-type birds. I had my binoculars trained on them with the bird book in the other hand. Then the 4th and 5th bird of the same type showed up and one of them was a male. Having a male there made the entire group much easier to identify because he has more of the raspberry coloring than the females.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...