Thursday, January 29, 2009

At No Extra Cost


I was browsing the BBC again today and came across an interesting article about the dairy cow. I learned that 54% of British dairy farmers do not name their cows. The farmers who do name their milk cows get more milk from the cows. Nearly all the farmers admitted their cows were individuals who experience an entire range of emotions. The last line of the article states

"Placing more importance on knowing the individual animals and calling them by name can, at no extra cost to the farmer, also significantly increase milk production."


I like that science can prove the benefit of being nice. No cost to the farmer to name the cows but increased profit. I guess I've always admired dairy cows.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...