Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hawks Are Hard To Figure


Today I was gardening. I heard the sound of a raptor. I looked up to see a pair of hawks sailing the winds above the house. They were making that raptor like sound and staying aloft without beating their wings. I saw a couple bands in the tail and a reddish breast. Both hawks were definitely circling above the house. I wondered if they were eyeing my chickens. The chicken run has a cover on it so my peeps are safe from raptors. Later I looked in my bird book to see what kind of hawk I had seen. I think it was a sharp shinned hawk but I wouldn't put any money on it. Coopers hawks are very similar but their tails are rounded and the sharp shinned hawk tails are square. I also saw chickadees, crow, pileated woodpecker, gold finches, chipping sparrows, indigo buntings, female hummingbird, cardinal, and a white breasted nuthatch.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...