Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Peeps Have Moved Outside


Here is a new photo of my chickens. I moved them out of the garage and into the yard on Friday. I put them on the east side of the house by the canoe. I figured that was the warmest place and they would get less wind. On the far left front, in beautiful silver, gray and black is Angela. She and Dwight are the boldest. They are the first to drink out of the fresh water and the first to come out of the coop when I open the door. You can see she and the other girls are starting to get their combs. The ear tufts are starting to come out as well. Dwight is standing behind her. His comb is much further developed. He is the darkest chicken with lots of black and some dark red feathers mixed with the black with brown and orange on the tail. Meredith is on the far right and she is the primarily orange chicken. Center front, staring right at the camera is either Kelly or Pam. I honestly cannot tell them apart. Pam is smaller but sometimes it's hard to tell if the chicken is really smaller or just using poor posture. In the center mooning us is Phyllis. On the left mooning us is Kelly or Pam. See how the girl's legs are greenish blue? That happened a few weeks after hatching. Dwight's legs are still yellow but the hens have legs the color of their future egg shells. When I moved them outside on Friday, they were a little upset from the ride out of the garage and across the lawn. The ride was bumpy and the coop was tilted to one side so I could get it on my hand cart. I got the coop in place and attached the run. When I opened the door, I expected them to hop right out like they did in the garage. But they were wary. After 20 minutes or so, Dwight and Angela came out to stand on the ramp but no further. After an hour, they were all out in the grass having a great time scratching and pecking. Just look what they've done to the grass after only 48 hours! They've scratched down to the dirt so they can bathe in the dust. I think they like the great outdoors.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...