Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Art of Racing In The Rain


I got this book because a friend of mine recommended it. The library lent it to me for ten days and I finished it in two. This book is good enough to make you stay up later than you intended because you just can't put it down. I've had bags under my eyes two days this week. Garth Stein writes this book from the point of view of a dog, a mutt, a member of the family, a car race fan, a hero, and a philospher all in one. At times the circumstances in the book feel contrived to pull at my heart strings. But I can forgive that because the story is very moving. Before each chapter that has lots of human drama, the dog tells us about car racing philosophy that foretells the drama ahead. One example is, "Your car goes where your eyes go." The same is true on a motorcycle. If you want to make a turn, look at where you want to end up and your bike will follow your eyes. Likewise, if you keep aiming at a goal in life, you'll get there. The dog's name in Enzo and his master's name is Denny. If you read the book, you will come to love Enzo. He is such a good dog.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...