Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Closure

Today I had a strange yet satisfying sense of closure. A friend of mine bought my former motorcycle from the repair shop. She got a good deal on it. This friend is interested in riding a motorcycle and she has her permit but does not have her license yet. And she has never driven a motorcycle before. She asked me if I would drive it from the repair shop to her storage facility in Maple Grove. I agreed. As I got on my first motorcycle again, I thought about the last time I drove it. The last time I drove it I was going to work expecting to make it to work and to continue to drive the motorcycle for another couple years. Suddenly there was a very bad, metallic, crunching noise. Next thing I knew, the bike was sold. I went from riding to selling it in a very quick succession. Since then I bought a new bike and I like it very much. So tonight I drove my first bike from Blaine to Maple Grove. We took the long way through Anoka. I put 16 more miles on the little bike. Although I wasn't in a relationship with a motorcycle, this short bike trip felt like closure for me. I felt good driving it for the new owner and parking it in her little storage space. I backed it in so she can get out easily. I put the kickstand down for the very last time. And then I had to hop out of there with my leg in the air because there was no extra room in that storage unit-not an easy feat for an arthritic old lady.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...