Sunday, July 4, 2010

Curses!


I started getting a rash on Friday. The rash started around my mouth and spread to my chin and forehead. I thought I got too much sun but it wasn't that. I toughed it out at first. It spread to my neck, my left arm, and right leg. This morning the rash was near my right eye so I went to urgent care. I was so glad they were open today. "Contact dermatitis," he said, "Probably poison ivy." I cannot believe I got poison ivy on my face. What was I doing? Eating it? It's all around my mouth! Was I grazing in the weeds? What. The. Heck. I am prone to poison ivy and have been since I was in elementary school. Usually I get it on the legs, not the face, although this is not the first time I've gotten it on my face. And I am very careful to avoid it. I know what it looks like. My eyes are peeled for that stuff. I've been really lucky avoiding it ever since Ruby, my golden retriever passed away. She would walk through it and then rub herself against me. Now that I know it's poison ivy, it itches worse than before I knew. I have a prescription for prednisone. I'm taking steroids. I've done this before. I know the drill. By the end of the week I'll be anxious and unable to sit still. My leg is already jiggling right now and I just took the first dose. I take allergy pills daily. The doctor said taking Claritan is like "Spitting in the wind." What does that mean? If I spit in the wind (which I wouldn't do, this is just hypothetical), I'd probably get spit on my face. Claritan is like spitting on yourself? Maybe he means it won't help much. He suggested zyrtec. He said it will make me sleepy and to take it at night. Cripes. I gotta say, this has not been the finest week for me.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Hm. Neither my doctor nor my pharmacist told me Zyrtec would make me sleepy. Maybe this is why I've been unable to stay up to my bedtime...
Also: Nananahaha you have poison ivy on your face!

Sue said...

Nananahaha?! that is what you have to say? Nananhaha? I didn't say Nananahaha about your spider bites.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...