Saturday, July 17, 2010

Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden




A friend and I toured the Eloise Wildflower garden in Minneapolis last weekend. The morning zoomed by as we walked through the garden looking at plants. The top photo is a bottle brush plant. To me it looks like a turnstile - like the ones they have when you leave the State Fair at the main Snelling Avenue exit. The lower photo is a false indigo plant. In the prairie section of the garden we found bushes and bushes of these large bean pods. The garden is a very peaceful place with deep woods, a tamarack swamp, a prairie and a little stream. Unfortunately my friend made contact with some poison ivy. For once I wasn't the one to get it. Or maybe I didn't react because I was still on steroids from my previous encounter. The garden has a visitor center that looks like a little log cabin in the woods and smells like woodsmoke inside. If you leave your keys they will let you borrow a book that tells you what you are looking at each numbered station. Many plants are non-native. I haven't been there in almost 30 years. I would like to go more often. I would guess the garden looks different each week as the season progresses.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...