Friday, July 30, 2010

RIP John Callahan


I was saddened to read in the newspaper that John Callahan, the comic artist, died. I was given several of his books back in the 1980's. I thought he was great. I thought he was terrible. I thought he was hysterical, rude, shocking, terrific, and disgusting. His art told about things I didn't allow myself to think. He poked fun of people with disabilities. He was the very definition of politically incorrect. Here is an example. He had a drawing of a woman standing in a room full of people without arms. The sign on the wall says, "Amputee Support Group." The bubble over the woman's head reads, "I need a hug." That is terrible, just terrible, but funny as heck. There was no one like John Callahan, may he rest in peace.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...