Friday, July 16, 2010

Please, Sir, May I Have Some More?


Last night some friends and I went to see Oliver. What a perfect evening for an outdoor play. We got there early to visit and run the paddle boat around Lake Como. The play was in the lakeside pavilion. Como Park is a city park and it brings back lots of memories for this St. Paul girl. My nephew played the role of Mr. Sowerberry. Mr. Sowerberry runs a funeral business and he buys Oliver from the orphanage director. Mr. Sowerberry had a singing role. How awesome to have the guts to get up on stage and sing and act and pour your heart out like that. I think it would be fun. Two thumbs up for the performance of Mr. Sowerberry! Besides my nephew, my friend's eight year old son played one of the orphans. He did a nice job too. The man who played Fagin was very impressive. A young woman played the violin while walking around with Fagin during one of his numbers. She was amazing. She played so well and looked so relaxed up there. It can't be easy to walk around the stage while playing a solo. The performance had many orphans. One particular orphan caught our eye because he was the youngest. He couldn't have been more than five. He had a round head with blond hair and was wearing a red cap with a feather in it. He looked like a little elf. We could see his mind was wandering once in a while but then he would come back to the performance and sing along and make the movements with the rest of the group. He was as cute as a button. I really enjoyed the performance of Oliver. Going to see it cements another pleasant outdoor summer event for me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...