Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nash, Moon, and Abe


This afternoon a sibling and I helped a niece celebrate her 13th birthday by taking her horseback riding. Because that is what she wanted to do more than anything else. We met at Bunker Stables. Our trail leader was Amanda. She was excellent. She was slow and steady and we could tell she really enjoyed her job. She rode the horse that I hoped I wouldn't get when I saw the row of horses lined up. He was the biggest horse and he had a very wide back. He was massive and beautiful with a tan body and a white mane. He was a good looking Belgian. My horse was a quarter horse named Nash. He had a nice, narrow back. He was a good boy with a rich, brown body and a darker mane. Amanda thought he would be the most likely to stop and eat grass along the trail (bad behavior). He did try a couple times but he responded well when I turned him away from it. My sibling had Moon who was a small Percheron with a light gray body with a darker gray muzzle. Moon was a good looking horse and he was the only one to eat a grass snack on the trail. My sibling tried to get him back on track but she said he was jack knifed. The birthday girl rode Abe - probably a quarter horse. Being the last in line on a dusty trail, Abe did the most snorting of dust out of his nose. We rode for an hour through prairie, in woods, and past swamps. Bunker has a nice trail system out there. This was my niece's first time on a horse that wasn't being led by someone. She had a good experience. She'd really like to go to horse camp someday. I don't remember my 13th birthday but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as fun as hers.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

That sounds like the horse I told you about being so large. Jeremy gets that horse a lot. He must like being up so high. He has a hard time controlling him to do what he is told by the instructors.

Glad you enjoyed the trail ride.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...