Thursday, July 29, 2010

On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Jamie Ford wrote this story about a man with a Chinese heritage who grew up in San Francisco during World War Two. His school age best friend, a girl of Japanese heritage, is moved with her family to an internment camp. Ford describes the racism in society in those days. He also describes in great detail what life in the internment camps was like. I've never talked to anyone who was in a Japanese internment camp but I did know a girl in high school whose parents were in one. I finished this book in one weekend in part because the library only gave me ten days to read it and in part because it was so good I didn't want to put it down.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...