Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Speechless

A few weeks ago I was speechless.  Just for a moment no words came out.  And it wasn't that I didn't have words to say.  It was one of those moments when 17 different responses come to mind all at the same time.  While my brain was going through each one and deleting those that could get me into trouble, no words could come out.  By nature I am a sarcastic smart aleck which I cover up by keeping my trap shut at important moments.   Here was the scene: I was working at a public event handling the money box and selling raffle tickets and nuts.  An local elected official approached my table and asked, "What is going on here?"  

I responded, "I am selling raffle tickets and nuts."

He said, "You are selling tickets to who?"

That is when 17 smart aleck responses, all involving comparison of elected officials to nuts (ie edible seeds, crazy or bonkers, and male reproductive organs) floated through my mind.  While reviewing those 17 responses, I realized he was asking for it.  In the end. I resolved my speechlessness by simple repeating, "I am selling raffle tickets and nuts."

Better safe than sorry.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...