Sunday, April 24, 2011

Three Egg Day

What a lovely day to spend with family and to be outside. My menu was shrimp, manicotti, salad greens, vegetable crudites, corn on the cob and apple pie.  These were all "do ahead" items so we spent the day sitting in the yard burning cherrywood, black spruce, one Christmas tree, and lots of buckthorn.  The buckthorn was cut late last fall and was not so easy to burn compared to the other branches.  The chickens spent the day free ranging around the yard. We noticed they were making a lot of noise before lunch.  Later I found three eggs in the coop so that explained all the clucking.  My chickens lay eggs that are green and blue in color so they don't need dying.  Some people refer to Americauna chickens as the Easter egg chicken.  After lunch, we got into a food coma state.  We could hardly move off the lawn chairs.  At one point the chickens went onto the deck.  From my chair across the yard I yelled, "Chickens!  Get off the deck."  Strangely enough they listened to me and complied with my request.  We saw lots of birds in the yard including chickadees, nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, pileated woodpecker, crow, purple finch, red shouldered hawk, phoebe, bluebirds, cardinals, blue jay, and chipping sparrow.  Today was a wonderful day to spend outside. Now, please excuse me, I must return to the jelly beans.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...