Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Plague of Doves

My book club read A Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich, one of my favorite authors.  For me, this was my second reading. And I figured out things in the second reading that I never got in the first reading.  The book is a symphonic blending of stories told from different points of view.  The story is set is a very small town in North Dakota, on the prairie.  The stories, much like life in a small town, are inter-connected and they cover a span of about 80 years.  Some of the stories are based on real events - a lynching of American Indians falsely accused of murder for example.  A character named "Holy Track" had wooden sticks nailed to the sole of his shoes was also based on a real person.  But the stories are complicated.  Each narrator has a great story which, standing alone, make for great reading.  But even an entire book club, with all of us thinking this book through, could not make sense of all the connections. We figured out a lot. Together we noticed who was some one's uncle or grandfather.  I think if we all read it one more time, we would have gotten even more out of it.  But how many times do you want to read a single book?  There is so much great literature out there.  I think twice was enough for me.  I enjoyed the stories even if I didn't get all the connections.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...