Saturday, April 2, 2011

Plasma

Earlier this week I donated plasma.  This was a first for me.  I've donated whole blood many times but never plasma. I knew blood was removed and I knew some parts of the blood were returned to me but I didn't know how.  Turns out they use only one needle.  The blood they take goes into a machine that spins the plasma out.  The red and white blood cells are returned after each cycle.  Giving  plasma takes 7 or 8 cycles.  When you give blood you squeeze your hand.  When they return blood to you, you stop squeezing.  As they return the blood to you, they add an anti-coagulant.  After the second cycle, I had a strong taste appear suddenly in my mouth. I tasted soap.  Yuck.  The attendant gave me a caramel viactive chew and that got rid of the soapy taste.  When I was finished, I had produced a large bag of yellowish fluid; AB+ fluid.  Then they gave me a dose of saline to replenish my fluids.  I felt like a patient instead of a volunteer.  I think I prefer to give whole blood.  I don't like to feel like a patient, I don't like to be given drugs and saline, and I didn't like that the process took an extra 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Cajo said...

You could sell it for research purposes instead? Would it be worth doing for $40?

Sue said...

I had to sign a waiver saying they could use some of it for research. Mainly it is used to help someone. This was through Memorial Blood Bank - it's at the Well's Fargo building near Riverdale. The money doesn't matter to me.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...