Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Welcome Back Helmet Hair

I didn't plan on a motorcycle ride today.  A change in plans resulted in me getting home earlier than usual.  I put something delicious into the oven and thought, "How am I going to take my mind off being hungry for 45 minutes?"  Bingo!  A motorcycle ride will take your mind off anything.  I usually wait for the streets to be swept so I don't have to worry about slipping on the sand.  This year I couldn't wait.  I put on jeans and boots and my jacket and helmet.  I put the key into the switch.  I had to pull out the choke to get the six month old gas to ignite.  Adrenalin surged as the motor sputtered to life.  My motorcycle doesn't rumble the pipes like some bikes.  Mine sounds more like a giant mosquito.  I thought I would just drive around the neighborhood a few times.  I did go through the neighborhood and then thought I'd cross the highway and try another neighborhood before I came back to the garage.  I got onto 167th and thought I'd try that curvy, hilly road near Mork Well Digging.  That road took me to Cleary Road and from there I went south on Hwy. 47. I love the part of the road that crosses over Trott Creek.  I handled the curve down to the brook just fine but the best part is the "S" curve going back up the hill.  I knew I had to head home because I had something cooking in the oven.  The most difficult part of the ride was my driveway.  I'm just not used to handling the motorcycle in a couple inches of squishy mud.  Don't want to go too fast but don't want to stop either because I'd have to put my feet down in that mud. I managed just fine.  The odometer read 2650 at the beginning of the 2011 season. My first ride was amazing.  My legs are cold but it was still an amazing ride.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...