Friday, April 15, 2011

Freedom

I just finished the novel, Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.  This book had several aspects that made it fun to read for me.  First off, much of it was set in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Second, nature played a huge role in the story; specifically cerulean warblers.  I've never seen a cerulean warbler but I really want to now. I don't think they nest here but they do fly through.  Third, the story was about a family.  With three generations explained, we can see why people act out their craziness on each other and why they make so many self-defeating decisions. I found myself liking Walter, Patty,  Joey, Connie, and Jessica.  As the story went on, one by one, I didn't like Walter, Patty, Joey, Connie or Jessica. By the end, I admired them again.  The author mocks the Prius driving, green liberals along with the Republicans with the SUV's.   Franzen is an equal opportunity mocker.  I think I will look for more of his novels.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...