Thursday, March 8, 2012

Awkward Moment #2: In 1978 or 9 I had a job interview on the east side of St. Paul. The interview was on a Monday in the late morning. My interview was in an office so small and cramped it appeared more like a closet than anything else. I sat across the desk from this woman and answered her questions as best I could. She got a phone call and had to leave for a few minutes and she left me alone in her office to wait. While waiting, I scanned the papers taped to the walls and the 3 ring binders on the desk. My eyes wandered around the tiny office and I felt something move on my neck. Nerves, I thought. As in any interview, I was a little nervous trying to make a good impression. I felt movement on my neck again so I reached for the spot. I found a wood tick between my fingers. I had spent the weekend up north and came back with a wood tick. What should I do with a wood tick during a job interview? My first plan was to just hold it and dispose of it outside when the interview was over. After two minutes of waiting with a wiggly wood tick in my fingers, I scratched that plan. Could I take it outside and get back before she notices I am gone? I was in a huge building and I didn’t think I could find my way back to the same room again so that plan was out.  Leaving the interview room would not look good for me.  The woman had an ashtray on her desk. Indoor smoking was typical back in these days. The ashtray had ashes and a couple cigarette butts in it already. What to do? What to do? I put the wood tick in the ashtray and watched it climb around in the ashes. I could calmly and wittily explain what happened when she returned.  Before I could think of a casual and witty way to handle the wood tick in the ashtray situation the woman returned and resumed asking questions before she sat down and before I could get a word in. I tried to maintain good eye contact and not glance in the ashtray. I found it difficult to concentrate on my answers because of that wood tick but as time went on, I became more relaxed. Near the end of the interview I had nearly forgotten about the wood tick. Wouldn’t you know it, the woman says, “There is a wood tick in my ashtray.” I raise my eyebrows.  All brain function temporarily ceased.  I said, “What? Really?” We both wonder how in the world a wood tick got in her ashtray. We have no idea how that could happen. I got the job.  I thought after I worked there a couple of months I would go back to that woman and explain the wood tick.  She gave her notice soon after hiring me and I never got the chance to explain.  I hope she didn't quit because she thought her office was infested with woodland arachnids.  I am pretty sure I would handle the situation in a more mature manner now.  I sure hope so.






No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...