Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's a Bust

I tapped my two maple trees several weeks ago. This year is not a good year for making syrup.  I'm glad my income or family sweets depended on the maple syrup I make each year because this year was a bust.  Although some sap runs when we have warm springs like this one, not much.  I had gathered almost a gallon of sap before I left for Nebraska.  By the time I returned, the buds had sprouted on the tree so I had to throw all that sap away.  This past weekend I thought I would boil my gallon of sap and maybe get a cup of syrup or maybe a half a cup.  As I poured the first jug of sap into the kettle, I noticed the liquid was cloudy and viscous.  When I added the second jug of sap it was clear and thin.  The thick and cloudy sap worried me so I threw the entire batch down the drain.  I didn't want to risk using tree sap that had spoiled.  I'll try it again next year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...