Friday, March 16, 2012

Signs of Spring

Red winged blackbirds and pussy willows are signs of spring for me.  I saw my first red winged blackbird outside the Rum River Library on Wednesday evening.  Five males flashing their red shoulder pads were fighting for territory over the pond in front of the library.  Each one wanted the best spot with the most insects staked out before their mates arrived in a couple weeks.  Another sign of spring (and I feel pretty lucky to have seen it) was a mourning cloak butterfly fluttering very erratically across 9 busy lanes of traffic in Blaine.  I hope that butterfly knew where it was going.  Another bald eagle sat on the pond at work today eating some dead animal off the ice.  It flew away before I could get a picture.  I feel it is such an honor to have an eagle fly over me like that.  Even if it does eat road kill, it is a magnificent bird.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Speaking of birds, a large green parakeet with a dark reddish orange head sat on top of our van this a.m. Don said he noticed 2 but just the one sat on the van. I wonder who is missing them in the neighborhood. I also saw a small bird but larger than a hummingbird try and feed off the hummingbird feeder after the parakeet flew to the back of our house. That little bird tried so hard to get a drink. He went from perch to perch but didn't have a long enough beak. Hope he was able to find a drink elsewhere. I haven't seen any hummers around our feeder but know they are in our park. I might not have put enough sugar in the feeder and they like the many other feeders people have hanging in their yards. They are well fed here. :) Can't wait to get our Getaway open and be able to sit in the porch or on the deck and watch the birds feed again. We have had such beautiful Orioles and usually have the same Hummingbirds come year after year. Fun to watch them all.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...