Friday, August 8, 2014

Eating More Vegetables

I am handing all the vegetables that I get from my CSA (consumer supported agriculture) allotment better than I thought I would.  Nothing has really gone to waste.  And I am eating more vegetables than I thought I could.  Kale, for instance.  I've gotten kale almost every week.  And not just a little kale, I've gotten 15-20 leaves of kale.  That is a considerable bulk of fibrous green leaves.  I haven't given any kale away.  Despite it's considerable bulk, kale cooks down and tastes delicious in red sauces and stir fry dishes.  This coming week I won't be getting any kale and I think I'll miss it.  I never knew I liked kale this much. I even ate it raw in a salad.  I cut it up into small bits and served it with plenty of dressing.  The kale salad was very chewy but good.  Green beans, on the other hand, are another story. I've gotten 3 cups of green beans and 3 cups of wax beans every week for the past month.  One week I can handle.  Two weeks I can handle.  But three weeks of that many beans is more than I can take.  I gave last week's beans to a bean loving friend of mine.  Now this week I'll look forward to seeing them again.  I like beans eaten raw, in stir fry dishes, and roasted in the oven.  Last week I got cherry tomatoes.  I LOVE tomatoes so those went down like candy.  I've gotten potatoes most weeks, either red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes and one week I got both.  I've eaten all the potatoes.  I get 3 or 4 cucumbers each week and those go directly to my chickens who love them cut in long quarters.  I also get fresh onions and I've eaten all of those so far.  I love onions.  I've eaten or used all the zucchini and most of the summer squash.  One vegetable I haven't been able to eat is the corn on the cob.  For the second week in a row I've been given six ears.  But what I can't eat I freeze.  That corn will taste good in the winter.  This coming week I look forward to more potatoes, green and wax beans, sweet peppers, onions, squash, corn, tomatoes and cucumbers.  So far I'm glad I joined this CSA. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...