Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I tried a new recipe today in order to use many of the vegetables I got in this week's CSA allotment.  Some things came to me that I didn't even know what they were.  I spent five minutes deciding which vegetable was the spaghetti squash and which was the ananas melon. I decided to cut them both open.  The squash was much more difficult to cut than the melon.  I baked the squash last night after splitting it in half and scooping the seeds out.  I baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  I rubbed a fork against the flesh of the squash to form the spaghetti like strands and refrigerated that overnight.  The other ingredients from my CSA allotment for this dish included a green bell pepper, an Anaheim pepper, an onion, and bronze fennel.  I have never seen bronze fennel before.  The stalks are about 18 inches long and the greens on it are like hairy green seaweed.  I don't know if I'm supposed to use the stems or not but there was a lot of it so I didn't use the stems.  The fennel gives a slight anise smell and taste. Oh, and by the way, the Ananas melon, although an off-putting off-white color inside and out, tasted deliciously of melon and pineapple.

Ingredients:  one spaghetti squash halved, cleaned of seeds, baked, and split into strands with a fork, one large onion diced, one bunch bronze fennel diced, one green bell pepper diced, one Anaheim pepper diced, one large clove of garlic diced, 2 TB olive oil, one box Morningstar veggie meatballs, one jar Prego spaghetti sauce, crushed red pepper to taste, 2 TB shredded cheddar cheese.

Preparation:  Saute onion, peppers, garlic and fennel in large pan with olive oil until onions are translucent.  Microwave veggie meatballs for 2 minutes.  Add sauce to vegetables and stir until sauce is warmed.  Add meatballs and spaghetti squash to the sauce.  Move the mixture into a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Serve on a plate.  Top with crushed red pepper and cheese. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...