Friday, August 1, 2014

Where Things Come Back

I judged this book by it's cover and this cover had some round shiny awards on it so I picked it up.  I think I might have accidentally been in the young adult section of fiction at my library.  In any case I enjoyed this story by John Corey Whaley.  He writes about Cullen's summer before his senior year of high school.  His story about his cousin, an ornithological hoax, and the disappearance of his brother weaves with another story.  The other story is about a young missionary's failure in Africa.  The story is poignant and captivating.  I could almost remember what it was like to be a  high school teen in the summertime.  I understand part of the plot is based on true history about the most recent sighting of the ivory billed woodpecker.  I can see why this story won awards.  I liked it very much.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...