Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Weekend To Remember

I had a most amazing weekend full of random and unique experiences.  The weekend started with a drive to the farm with a cousin.  We haven't spent much time together but get us in a car together and holy cow, we're talking so fast and so furious we miss our exit off of Highway 94.  I think the conversation must have been riveting to miss seeing the lights of Alexandria after the sun goes down.  We made our way to the farm safely but not out of things to talk about.  The next morning we went to cook and clean for an uncle.  My Grandparent's house, the one I have not been in since the 1970's was a lot like I remembered it.  Only smaller; it was a lot smaller.  This tiny kitchen, where there is room for a small table and one chair, how did we fit so many people around it?  The kitchen counters and sink are so low I have to bend my knees to wash the dishes.  I learned that my Grandfather made all these cabinets and I marvel at his carpentry skills.

The pictures I remembered were about Europe but not quite the impressionistic pictures I thought they were.




This is the old wood burning stove stored down here in the cellar covered with plywood and surrounded by wood for the furnace.  it was cream colored with blue knobs.  Wow.  A Blast from the past.I remember my Grandmother using this stove.  She put wood in underneath the burners and fed a big family that way.  Even though I worked hard cleaning the house (that wasn't all that dirty) I felt priviledged to be able to enter this home and help.  Someday I will need help like this myself, no doubt.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...