Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Miracle of Mindfulness

I read The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.  This was a short non-fiction book about being mindful.  Mindful is where your mind and your body are focused on a single topic.  Part of being mindful is being aware of your breathing.  I was taught to breathe from the bottom of my lungs to the top.  You know you are doing it right when your belly goes up with an intake of breath before the chest rises.  Another technique is to count your breaths.  Breathe in on 1 and breathe out on 1.  Breathe in on 2 and breathe out on 2.  If you loose count, start over at 1.  Later in the book we're given tips on what to think about and how to catalog and separate our feelings.  This was an interesting book and I've been practicing what I have read.  Today I had a tough meeting that dragged on and on and on.  You know the kind.  This meeting involves people who don't have filters on their mouths and who don't accept people as they are.  Like nagging really helps.  Well, maybe it does help because I become mentally exhausted listening to nagging.  Anyway, to counteract the mental exhaustion listening to these people I started applying my breathing techniques.  Breath in on 1 and out on 1.  Breathe in on 30 and breathe out on 30.  Wow, feeling dizzy now.  Also I can't seem to stop yawning.  Maybe I took this breathing thing a tad bit too far but I was totally mindful in figuring that out.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...