Thursday, October 16, 2014

Was Tonight The Last Ride of 2014?

As I walked by the television set at the gym tonight after work I glanced at it to see the weatherman say the high today was 71 degrees.  71 degrees?  I treasure days of 71 degrees.  So instead of doing my normal chores when I got home, I took my bike out for a spin.  I told myself that was also a chore. I do not want a clogged carburator in the spring like I had just 6 months ago. I added 1.5 ounces of Stabil to the gas tank.  When I had my carburetor repaired earlier this summer the mechanic told me about weatherizing my bike.  He told me to run the bike for at least 20 miles after adding the Stabil. He said I would be able to smell the Stabil when it started burning.  So I took off north toward Saint Francis to mix the Stabil in thoroughly.  On the half hour ride I passed 18 other motorcycles.  Every biker must be mixing Stabil in their machines tonight.  I kept my nose alert for a change in the smell of my exhaust.  I thought I smelled a change twice but both times I was passing auto lots so I'm not sure.  I had a nice ride.  I passed acres of corn standing dried in the fields.  I passed red oaks, orange oaks and brown oaks.  With the sun so low in the sky the oaks were especially beautiful.  A few scarlet sumac leaves remained attached to the branches.  Enough leaves were off the sumac that I could pick out the distinctive branch pattern of staghorn sumac.  The poplars had yellow-orange leaves.  I saw a couple of Trumpeter swans swimming in a pond so still it looked like a mirror.  I passed a flock,  herd of beige alpaca.  They all watched me go by.  After that I went through an intersection with a 4 way stop.  Cars were behind me so I wanted to accelerate at a good pace. The speed limit here is 55 mph.  But I saw a deer dithering in the ditch.  And another deer stood behind the first one.  Just the face of the deer stood above the tall brush.  Everything is fun until you see a deer.  I slowed down and made sure my brake lights came on.  The deer decided against crossing so I sped up again.  Two V formations of Canadian geese went by overhead.  The first V was a capital V and the second one was a lower case v.  The best part of the trip is the S curve on Highway 47 over Trott Brook. I throttle down to third gear going down the hill.  After the bridge I pour on the gas and move into 4th.  Halfway up the hill I move into 5th gear. I make changing gear noises out loud inside my helmet.  I'm Mario Andretti!  Woo Hoo!  Will this be the last ride of 2014?  Well, if it was, the motorcycle season ended on a good note.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...