Tuesday, October 21, 2014

CSA Evaluation

Last night I picked up my 18th and final share from my CSA (Consumer Supported Agriculture) delivery.  I got organic apples, beets, bell peppers, butternut squash, cabbage, carrots, kale, Mercado peppers, mini pumpkin, onion, parsnips, pie pumpkin, potatoes and a gourd.  Now that the season is over I am evaluating the service.  I think I got a deal.  I have quite a bit of summer squash, peas, beans, and corn in my freezer.  I ate everything except the beets and the cucumbers.  Offspring #2 takes the beets and my chickens loved the cucumbers.  I tried some vegetables I've never tried before and found out I liked some (but not the beets).  I really liked the onions, lettuce, corn, kale and potatoes. I loved, loved, loved the organic tomatoes.  The squash was good too.  Lucky for me squash keeps because I have 3 left to eat now.  I haven't tried the parsnips yet and I have two weeks of those to eat.  Parsnip - what a strange word. Parse snip.  Par Snip.  I think I'll try some parsnip fries later this week.  Since my delivery came on Monday I changed my cooking habits from cooking mostly on weekends and eating leftovers all week.  Now I do more cooking during the week. I was able to adapt and plan my menu based on what was growing well on the organic farms around Big Lake.  Belonging to a CSA has been a challenge but not overwhelming.  The only vegetable I think I got too much of was green and wax beans.  I think I will sign up again for next year. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...