Monday, October 27, 2014

So Immature

Offspring #2 and I finished the last railing on the deck stairs.  The last railing was installed the best.  We learn as we go along. We also glued the post caps on the posts. And we glued the cookies under the railings.  Cookies, in deck terms, are not the sweet round bakery treats but two scrap pieces of plastic lumber that will support the lower deck railing.  So we did a lot of measuring and sawing and drilling.  You've heard the maxim, "Measure twice and cut once."  We tend to measure once and cut 5 times which means a lot of walking back and forth from the deck to the picnic table but that is ok.  We can cut a board shorter but we cannot cut it longer.  We have a system down.  I keep the drill bits and screw attachments in the front pocket of my hoodie and we swap the drill back and forth.  And every time we get the giggles.  I laughed so hard my abs hurt for an hour.  And it was a good thing my bladder was empty.  What ever we say when we're drilling or screwing sounds dirty.  Comments like, "I can't get the angle right.  Oh, that went in good.  I felt that bite the wood.  Smooth!  It's in far enough."  We are so immature together.  Both minds firmly planted in the gutter.  Work slows down when we have to put the drill down and hold our stomachs while we laugh and laugh and laugh.  This deck was put together with blood, sweat, and tears of laughter.  All that is left to do is put up the fascia board.  Then I'm on to the next project.  If the next project involves screwing or drilling, it's bound to be loads of fun.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...