Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sauerkraut (Not)

 I tried making sauerkraut.  I cut a cabbage very fine and mixed it with 1 1/2 TB kosher salt.  I set it in a very clean glass vase.  I topped it with a cabbage leaf and weighed it down with a glass jar full of heavy things (like dice).  I covered it with a clean cloth and set the magic work.  Gradually the moisture left the cabbage and filled the jar to the top of the cabbage.  I set it on my dining room table for  about 3 weeks.  A couple days ago I noticed the top layer of cabbage turned brown.  That was not a good sign.  Next I saw a layer of fuzzy mold on top of the cabbage leaf.  So I threw the whole thing out.  Something went wrong.  According to what I heard Mike McFadden say, I can learn more from mistakes than from success.  I don't agree with Mike McFadden on very much but I believe he's right about that.  When you are successful you bask in the glory and accept congratulations. Failure leads to more introspection. Should I have kept the cabbage out of the sun light?  Should I have put the kraut downstairs where it is cooler?  I'm not sure.  I have one cabbage left and I like my cabbage, fake hamburger, tomato sauce hot dish too much to spend two cabbages on sauerkraut.  A friend of mine is making sauerkraut too and hers is turning out well and she said she would give me some.  That ought to do it for me. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...