Monday, October 6, 2014

American Gods

I read American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  I knew it was written by a guy from Briton and I thought it would be about America.  And it is about America but also American Gods.  I wasn't paying attention to the title.  This book is about gods like Odin and Thor and Anansi.  The book started out as a story about a guy named Shadow who was finishing his time in the state penitentiary for assault. Even though he is a criminal he seems like a nice enough guy.  He gets released early because his wife died.  On the plane home he meets a strange guy named Mr. Wednesday and that is when things start to get weird.  The books drifts into science fiction and back into plain fiction again.  I prefer plain fiction.  By the time I've read 2/3rds of the book it's all science fiction. So I think I could put this book down and not finish it.  But I can't not finish it.  I am compelled to finish the story.  I was drawn in the the travels across America, the visits to Minnesota, to Wisconsin's House on the Rock, and the other near by states.  But the story line is what made me stay.  If I had thoroughly read the book jacket, I doubt I would have read this book at all.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...