Monday, October 13, 2014

Felt Like A Hero

I love my job.  I have an office and a desk and a computer. I have a drawer full of pens and paperclips.  They gave me keys and an identification tag that opens doors. I get paid every two weeks.  People know me there.  Some of them think I'm funny.  They pay me to talk to people and do paperwork.  And today was really great.  I got paid to feel like a hero.  One of our drivers had a van accident.  I overheard the phone call where the news came out.  I put on my coat, stuck my phone in my pocket, grabbed some keys and went "To The Rescue!"  I drove another van to the scene of the accident. I passed the two highway patrol cars, pulled over ahead of the van that was in an accident, and put on my hazard lights.  I got out of the car, hugged the driver who was feeling a little shaky, and moved the five clients, one by one, into the van I drove there.  No one was hurt. I chatted with everyone and offered reassurance.  Then I got in as a passenger and she drove us back to work.  I know it wasn't much but dang, I felt good.  How often do I get to feel like a hero? Like never!  So today was good. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...