Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ch ch ch ch Chia!

I try to eat healthy.  I sample all the "super" foods.  I eat almonds and blueberries, spinach and kale.  I like them too.  I could all all four of those foods every week.  A few months ago I read about chia seeds being a "super" food so I bought some.  Because if eating chia seeds will buy me a couple more weeks of life, I ought to give them a try.  Those chia seeds sat in the pantry for months.    Chia seeds don't look very appetizing.  Actually they look like something you would sweep up with a broom and put in the trash.  It's good to keep an open mind about these things. This past week I decided to open the bag. Because chia seeds are small they are packed with more fiber and protein than most other seeds - more shell than guts I guess.  In the morning I pour a couple tablespoons on top of strawberries, sprinkle some flax on top of them, add yogurt, a scoop of cottage cheese, a little bit of milk and mix it up with my stick blender.  The chia seeds swell in the liquid which gives them a gel like outside and a little crunch on the inside.  Some of the chia seeds tend to get stuck in my teeth and they make a delicious after breakfast snack when I dig them out with my tongue.  I think these are the same seeds sold with Chia Pets but now we buy them to eat instead of growing on a Scooby-Doo head  They're good.  Now I am a chia fan.  I'd eat them even if they won't give me a couple extra weeks of life.  But if chia seeds DO give me an extra couple of weeks, I hope those extra weeks are spent near the ocean.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...