Tuesday, March 31, 2015

First Time

The weather outside this afternoon was so nice I decided to start my motorcycle.  Last year I had a gunked up carburetor so I was a little nervous this year.  I put my lunch bag away and, wearing my gym clothes, swung my right leg over the seat of the bike.  This is the first time I've swung that leg over the top of the bike using my artificial hip.  I swung it up and it went over smoothly and easily and painlessly!  Wow, that was nice.  I made sure the transmission was in neutral and the shut off button was in the right position.  I put the key in.  I pressed the starter button.  Nothing.  Oh, I forgot to turn the key to the on position.  Silly me.  I turned the key to the on position and while I was down there I pulled the choke all the way out.  I've been through a lot in the last six months.  A person forgets these things.  I pushed the starter button and my beautiful bike turned over on the second try.  Vroom Vroom!!!  To be honest my bike sounds more like "Rrrrr Rrrrr" and not "Vroom Vroom."   Now that I had it started, I might as well take it out, right?  Well, I wasn't dressed for the occasion.  Yoga pants aren't motorcycle attire for me.  I ran in the house and put on my motorcycle jacket, my helmet, and my reflective safety vest but kept the yoga pants and tennis shoes.  I was just going around the block.  I got on my bike and pushed the choke back in.  The engine kept running which was very good.  I walked it out of the garage and put it into first gear as I rolled down the driveway.  I turned right and took another right at the corner.  Did I turn at the first block and put it safely back in the garage?  No, I did not.  Wearing yoga pants I drove it around every possible block in my neighborhood without going on the highway. I happily noticed that the sand and salt have been swept off my street.  I practiced signalling turns, leaning into corners, braking, and changing gears.  I've been out of practice.  Right away I noticed the comfort I felt in my right hip.  Maybe comfort isn't the right word.  Lack of pain might be more accurate.  I had no idea, until today, how much pain I was in riding that bike.  I guess the pain crept up on me gradually so I didn't notice it as much.  But once it is absent the difference is very noticeable.  Of course I just came home from the gym and after the gym is when I always feel the best.  After the gym I walk better, I stand taller, and I feel years younger.  I had a very fun first ride of the year and I look forward to putting many, many miles on the bike this season. I feel fabulous!  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...