Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Maple Bust

I got home late this afternoon.  As I took my mail out of the mailbox I noticed the branches of my maple tree looked different.  The tree flowered today.  Reddish knobs appeared all along the branches.  Thus ends the sap season.  Once the tree flowers, the sap is no good.   The flow slows and the liquid does not have a good sweet taste.  I pulled the taps out, rinsed out the tubing, and recycled the milk jugs. I didn't get enough sap this year to make it worth boiling.  Ah, well, so it goes.  Would I trade this past week of 60 degree weather for a pint of maple syrup?  I would rather have the warmer weather.  I like the health benefits of using syrup instead of sugar and I like the idea of living off my land, but I LOVE warm weather.  I can buy some syrup.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...