Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Winter Horses

One of my nieces has a  birthday coming up.  She is young and she loves animals so I googled "books for young reader animal lover."  This book, The Winter Horses by Philip Kerr came up so I ordered it.  The book was delivered very quickly so I read it.  (Shhh, don't tell her).  This is a great book for any young reader, not only the animal lovers. With a strong young female character it's a great book for a girl.  Kalinka is the name of the teen charcter.  Kalinka is a heroine.  She survives war in the Ukraine in 1941.  She not only survives but is an ecological heroine because she saves a breeding pair of rare horses that the Germans want eliminated.  I guess the German eugenics applied to more than just humans.  If  a species wasn't considered to be the "best" the German SS would help evolution along by eliminating all of the other species.  This story is historical fiction and there really were Przewalski horses in the Ukraine during the war that were almost eliminated because they were determined to be "biologically unfit."  How can any species created by our maker be determined to be biologically unfit? I wish I had this book to read when I was a teen.  I hope my niece likes it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...