Tuesday, March 24, 2015

New!

This is my new knitting project.  I'm making it for a very important and new person in my life.  The fact of the matter is, I am going to be a grandmother.  My genes will be passed on to a new person.  Scary, right?  I hope this new person does not get the genes for arthritis, sensitive skin, allergies, and cankles but does get my genes for strength, determination, optimism, and gratitude.  I am pretty excited.  I think about babies all the time.  Do I know if it will be a granddaughter or a grandson?  Well, I know it will be one of those two because the parents want to find out the old fashioned way when the baby is born.  I plan to help out a little bit when the baby is born and I am super excited about that.  Every week I get information about my grandchild comparing the size of the fetus to some kind of fruit or vegetable.  This grandchild of mine started out the size of a kumquat.  My grandchild has grown through the stages of a heirloom tomato, an apple, a scallion, a banana, a spaghetti squash,a coconut, and this week a pineapple.  I go to the grocery story and stare at the produce until tears come into my eyes.  Other Cub shoppers must think I'm crazy.  It feels strange to eat some produce anymore; almost cannibalistic.  I hope to do well in my new role as a grandmother.  I expect to put forth extra effort to remain close to this grandchild because of the long distance between us.  I grew up next door to one grandmother and only 3 hours away from the other grandmother.  I felt very close to both of them. I could sit and listen to them tell me stories for hours and not get bored.  I learned a lot from them.  They both taught me how to cook, to be frugal  and how to appreciate nature.  One of my grandmothers had a huge fear of wolves but I heard her stories without becoming fearful of wolves myself.  I started an email account for my grandchild and have begun to send him or her emails.  Someday, when they are older, I will give them the account and the password so they can read stories about themselves from my perspective.  I hoped for years to be a grandmother.  My wish is coming true.  I am so incredibly lucky.  I can't imagine having me for a grandmother.  I still feel like I'm 8 years old some days. Did my Grandmothers feel this way?  Where has the time gone?  One of my all time favorite sounds is that of a newborn crying.  I'm sure to get my fill of that in the coming months.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

A huge Congratulations on the new bundle of joy being added to your life.
Nothing more gratifying than being a Grammy!

Sue said...

Thanks Dianne!!!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...