Sunday, March 15, 2015

Unexpected Treasure

On my way to a baby shower I stopped to pick up Offspring #2. She was attending a Saturday seminar. I could have waited in the car but was intrigued by the architecture of this beautiful building on the east side of Saint Paul.  So I went inside.

I wondered, given the location on Ivy, if this was part of the old Gillette Children's Hospital.  After seeing this military man pointing a pistol in the doorway, I thought it looked like a building designed for children.

A receptionist asked if she could help me.  I said I was meeting my daughter.  I asked her if this was a Gillette Hospital building. She explained that it is the only building left from the hospital grounds and was used as the education building for patients. Now Gillette Hospital is attached to Regions Hospital and has clinics in other parts of the city.

She told me to feel free to look around.  I was lucky enough not to ever be hospitalized here but I knew kids who were. i tried to imagine this hallway full of kids in the 1960's, the 1970's, or the 1930's. I knew kids who had Harrington rods put in to correct their scoliosis.  I knew kids who had other orthopedic surgeries. Were there kids who who had tuberculosis or polio?  I am not sure. I am sure some the kids had casts, braces, crutches, walkers and wheelchairs.  If only these walls could speak.

How many kids did this guy on the wall see over the years since the building was constructed in 1926?  I hope he saw many good outcomes from the medical treatment that was provided there.

I am glad I got the chance to come into this building and look around.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...