Sunday, March 22, 2015

Good People

My college roommates and I went to see Good People, a play at the Lyric Arts Theater.  I didn't read up on it before I went.  The first scene a woman named Margy gets fired from her job as a cashier at the dollar store because of her chronic tardiness.  But the scene is funny so I think this is a comedy.  Thus went the whole show.  On the surface I think it's a comedy but the content is not funny at all.  I guess that makes this a dark comedy; emphasis on dark.   The play is set in South Boston in the 1960's.  Margy and her friends grew up in a poor neighborhood called "Southie."  Margy is a single mother and she has an adult daughter with developmental disabilities to care for.  Margy is a good person but just can't seem to get ahead.  Is the fact that she never left the Southie neighborhood a result of her choices?  Margy doesn't think so but her ex flame, a reproductive endocrinologist, does think so.  Is he a good person?  Is Margy a good person?  Life is complicated and good can be defined in many ways.  I wish I had gone to a matinee so that my friends and I could meet afterward to digest this play.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...