Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Fire In The Hole!

On Sunday afternoon I decided to burn some brush.  The day was warm and the wind was still.  The fire took right off and I decided to burn an extra long log of white oak.  The center of the branch had rotted away.  A woodpecker had made some side holes as well.  All these openings made for a log that was very easy to burn.  This log was at least 12 inches in diameter and 2 feet long but I never had to turn it to get it all to burn.  Despite the rotten center and the many holes, this log had an amazing amount of fuel to it.  It burned hot and heavy for three full hours.  Burning brush isn't exactly relaxing because I'm always gathering more brush and moving extra long pieces toward the center but it is enjoyable.  On Sunday I believe I burned about 7 % of the brush pile.  93% left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...