Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Wait Till Next Year

My book club chose Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Most of the group liked it more than I did.  I'm not a sports fan and I skimmed the long and dry parts about the Dodgers.  The other parts she wrote about, growing up on Long Island during the 1940's and 1950's was more interesting to me.  She talked about the Joe McCarthy hearings.  She claims she and the neighborhood kids "played" Joe McCarthy.  She says they reenacted the hearings about Communism.  I find this a little bit difficult to believe.  Other details she claims to remember seem to be a stretch but this is a memoir so not all of it has to be fact I guess.  Goodwin is a historian so she might have a special way of relaying information.  Her father taught her how to keep track of all the information during a base ball game.  When he came home from work he would listen to her tell about the game, inning by inning, what exactly happened.  Her father sounds like an especially patient and kind man.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...