Saturday, April 18, 2015

Oak Cookie

Last weekend I cleaned out my gutters and found this tree cookie on my roof.  I think the arborists left it there.  I scooped it off the roof and took a closer look.  I counted about 45 rings in this branch.  So that means that in about 1970 this branch was just a little twig.  Can you see the inner brown circle, the middle light brown circle and the outer beige circle?  I moved in to this property at the edge of the middle circle and the outer circle.  This oak tree cookie has a lot of history in it.  Healthy oak tree years have wider bands.  Years where the oak was stressed has thinner bands.  If I knew more about trees I would be able to read this tree cookie like an autobiography.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...