Thursday, April 2, 2015

My Mother Was Nuts

No, not my mother.  This is a book named My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall.  I know Penny as Laverne from "Laverne and Shirley," a sitcom I watched many years ago where Laverne wore a big initial "L" on her shirts and started out the show singing "Schleimel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated."  There was a lot I didn't know about Laverne, I mean Penny.  Penny went on to be a big time producer after the sitcom.  She was the producer of the movie "Big," the movie "Awakenings," the movie "A League of Their Own," and the television series that I really liked, "The United States of Tara."   Laverne, I mean Penny, if a funny lady and she reads her own words in the audio version of the book that I listened to.  She is no angel and she speaks plainly about sex, drugs and rock and roll.  Well, not rock and roll so much but she and Art Garfunkel spent time motorcycling around Europe.  She lived a full life and was quite talented as a director.  She is a funny lady.  Even when reading the credits she made me laugh when she thanks her two husbands and her significant others.  Then she thanks the men she hasn't mentioned yet but she had sex with.  After that she thanks Ringo Starr for recognizing and greeting her at the airport.  As a kid she was always telling her mother, "Five more minutes!" when her Mom called her in for supper at night.  When Penny was having fun she didn't want to quit.  She wasn't ready for "Laverne and Shirley" to end when it did.  And when she found out her lung cancer had metastasized, she wasn't ready to be ill either.  All she wants is five more minutes.  I hope she gets it.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...