Monday, April 27, 2015

Move To Summer HQ

It is time to move the chickens to a fresh spot of ground on the east side of the house. First I tricked the chickens into going into the coop by throwing a handful of sunflower seeds in there and shutting the door on them.  Then I moved the run to the new spot on the east side of the house.

Then I moved the chickens inside the house over to the east side.  How does a person with a new hip joint move a chicken coop?  It's easy.  I can even take a photo while I'm doing it. I use my red dolly and pull while walking backwards.  To keep peace inside the coop I offered commentary such as, "The pilot informs us there is some turbulence ahead so stay in your seats and keep your seatbelts fastened.  Please remain in your seats until the plane has taxied to the gate." 

Chickens can't speak English but they do communicate.  As soon as I let them out of the coop in the fresh spot of earth, they clucked in their contented tone of voice.  They scratched the clean dirt and pecked at all the green leaves they saw.  They threw the sandy soil up and covered themselves in sand.

Here is a photo of two happy chickens.

Fresh dirt.  Fresh smells.

This is much nicer than the old spot that was covered with four months of solid waste.

I scraped all the old manure out and put fresh wood chips down for my girls.

I put them in a spot where I can keep an eye and an ear out from my bedroom window.  I haven't seen the fox lately but I'm sure it's around.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...