Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How Much?

On my way home from work I stopped at the gym for a workout, stopped at the liquor store for a bottle of Sicilian wine, stopped at a neighbor's house who are always stopping by with a nice surprise for me, dropped off a bottle of Sicilian wine, and then stopped to get the mail.  Parked at the mailbox I saw two things.  I saw a big branch blown down by the wind creating a hazard to my low slung car and a wood chuck.  Oh, a woodchuck; groundhog, or marmot.  I haven't seen a woodchuck in a long time.  They look like a miniature bear.  My memory travels 17 years back in time.  Offspring #2 is about 10 years old.  I, as a Girl Scout leader, had planned a really great evening for Troop 631.   I was the Girl Scout badge planner. I knew these girls were not the kind to sit at a table and do crafts.  These girls had to move.  These girls had to make their own decisions.  I had a badge in mind for these girls and the physical activities to go with it.  I also had a golden retriever dog named Ruby who was an irrepressible dog. Irrepressible, I say.  Never to feel a single regret in her life, Ruby enjoyed the visit of Troop 631.  She enjoyed the attention of the seven girls.  She, good old Ruby, was so grateful for their attention that she brought them a woodchuck out of the woods and laid it at their feet.  Ruby - she drove me crazy but I miss her terribly.  Troop 631 was standing in a circle talking when said woodchuck was given by this dog in their honor, laid inside their circle of feet.  To the screams of seven 10 year old girls, said woodchuck was torn limb from limb in front of their very eyes.  Murder!  Mayhem!  Was this the official Girl Scout experience I had planned?  No, this was not what I had planned.  What is a Girl Scout leader to do in front of a Girl Scout troop?  Curse out the blasted dog?  Not a good choice.  Girl Scout leaders have to think on their feet.  Rescue the woodchuck?  Yeah, no thanks to that.  Cringe, swear silently, and encourage the girls to enjoy the trampoline?  Yes, that sounded like the best plan.  It's has been 17 years since I saw a woodchuck grace this yard with it's presence.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...