Monday, October 3, 2016

Percolator!

At the beginning of this year I made it a goal to not buy as much plastic.  I knew buying no plastic would be impossible because many of my favorite foods come in plastic but I would try to, if at all possible, buy wood, glass or metal things instead of plastic.  I quit chewing gum.  Gum has plastic in it.  I use cloth shopping bags.  I went to a second hand children store to buy a small chair for my granddaughter.  I walked right by the huge selection of plastic chairs and bought a wooden rocking chair instead. But I still buy plenty of plastic every time I pick up blueberries at the store. So when my very old tiny coffee maker gave up the ghost, I bought an old fashioned metal percolator instead.  This percolator comes with a plastic handle and a plastic gasket but most of it is metal.  So now, instead of just plugging in the coffee pot and walking away, I set it on the stove.  I have to come back and turn the heat down once it is boiling or else it might boil over. I keep it percolating for 5 to 7 minutes.  This morning was my first attempt at percolating coffee.  The whole process took about 20 minutes.  And the coffee was hotter than the coffee from the coffee maker.  I think the coffee tastes better and smoother.  I got more of a caffeine rush too so that could mean I need to adjust how much coffee I put in that little basket.  I had good coffee this morning; good to the last drop. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...