Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Excitement Builds!

Everyday I feel the excitement building in the city of Anoka.  I travel there.  I shop there. I go to the doctor there.  I see fake spider webs, orange jack-o-lanterns and black bats displayed all over town.  Anoka is crazy for Halloween.  On Friday morning I drove down Main Street at 8:45 in the morning.  Rugs and lawn chairs blocked the sidewalks even though the parade of little people doesn't start until noon.  Elementary school children, in costume, will walk down Main Street.   There is another parade in the evening.  Today I drove into town to buy chicken feed at the Coop.  I steer clear of Main Street because I know that will be a mess.  As I travel down Harrison Street I am followed by squad cars from  Brooklyn Park, Ramsey, and Blaine.  Squad cars start lining up in the parking lot where I buy my chicken feed.  I tell the man there I can feel the excitement building.  He says the typical crowd for the parade is 50,000.  This year they expect 70,000. Why the larger turn-out this year? Because in September the newest U.S. postage stamp was unveiled in a big ceremony at Anoka City Hall.  Like I said, this town is crazy for Halloween!
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...