Monday, October 31, 2016

My Personal House of Horrors

I don't like mice; not one little bit. Mickey is OK.  Minnie is acceptable.  A frozen mouse being fed to a snake is OK. A mouse in the yard will make me scream but it's okay.  Once, years ago, my brother came over to help us cut down trees and he laughed as I screamed as a mouse made figure eights around my feet.  Even a mouse in the garage is tolerable.  But a mouse in the house is horrible.  Horr. I.  Ble!  How can people say fall is their favorite season? Fall is when the mice invade.  I saw mousey evidence in my house on Sunday. Horrible!  Horrible I say! I set some mouse traps.  How many? I set 13 snap traps with peanut butter and 1 wind up snap trap and one poison trap.  While talking on the phone I heard some snapping coming from the traps in my laundry room. More actual horror.  Not the kind you see on television. This is actual horror!  I wish my braver offspring still lived at home because they could handle this better than I. I go down there!  Horrors!  One mouse is caught in a trap.  I bring my latex gloves, a garden shovel and a garden trowel.  I can't stand it. I like nature but Lord Almighty, this is horrible! I come back in an hour! Horrors!  The mouse has turned it's head from one side to the other!  I can't stand it. I come back in an hour.  More horrors!  How is this possible?  What could be worse than a half dead mouse caught in a trap? The mouse has disappeared!  What could be worse? Why do I ask myself these questions?  I come home today, on Halloween, and find 4 dead mice in the the snap traps and the wind up trap completely missing.  My personal house of horrors!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

OMG I am totally with you on fearing mice! While we spent a couple nights in Rapid City, SD with Don's brother and family before heading on to Mesa, I saw a mouse at their house. OMG my sister in law and I were in the living room visiting and she had mentioned catching a mouse the other day. She said they can't detect how they are getting inside the house. Well another one got in and I saw it come around through the kitchen into the dining room. It circled around a big basket on the floor full of newspapers and then continued close to the baseboard all the way into the living room. I screamed bloody murder and I know I scared the crap out of Sue. She jumped out of her chair when I said lift your legs it's gonna go right under your blanket. OMG then I just got the giggles and couldn't quit. I think that was part of my emotions seeing that mouse. It's only the 3rd alive mouse I've ever seen in my life. I thought a mouse was a small gray thing but what I saw was bigger and hairier and fast. I had given Sue a blanket from a Navajo Indian shop we stopped at in April on our way back to MN. She loved it and was in her chair covered with it when this critter interrupted our visiting. My brother in law set 2 traps because I said it probably got behind the couch and stayed there because it was scared of my screaming. Our new pup Huky found one of the traps and really yelped when it snapped. I envisioned it being on the end of his tiny nose but I think it just really scared him. So the trap got reset and put further behind the chair that Sue was in. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep because I was listening for a *snap*. Never heard one either of the 2 nights and the 2 traps stayed empty. My niece who still lives at home said she heard something in her room that is near the room we slept in. OYE VEY My brother in law put 2 traps in her room. Haven't heard if the mouse has been caught yet or if more have come uninvited. I HATE MICE! It's always a fear of opening our camper in the Spring because I get so emotional just seeing the turds. Never have seen a mouse dead...........I can relate Sue!!!!!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...